[Taxacom] more molecular problems

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Mon Nov 10 15:06:25 CST 2008

I just went through the molecular data for 44 taxa and 1134 sequences
which generated a parsimony analysis supporting a human-chimpanzee clade
(Prasad et al 2008 Mol Biol Evol 25: 1795-1808) for sequences
orthologous to a 1.0 Mb region of human chromosome 7.  In the coding
sequences found no apomorphies at all for the large bodied hominoids so
the result is cladistically impossible. I have written to the lead
author for an explanation. They also analyzed a larger non coding
sequence partition, but that did not include anything for the orangutan
and so is uninfirmative.

John Grehan

Dr. John R. Grehan

Director of Science

Buffalo Museum of Science1020 Humboldt Parkway

Buffalo, NY 14211-1193

email: jgrehan at sciencebuff.org

Phone: (716) 896-5200 ext 372

Panbiogeography