[Taxacom] specimen storage in ethanol: methylethyketon

Alex Borisenko aborisen at uoguelph.ca
Thu Nov 13 09:24:50 CST 2008

Dear Donat,

We have had no experience with 2% Methylethylketon, however, the reagent
Ethanol we use contains ca. 5% of Methyl ethanol and 5% of Isopropyl
ethanol (the remainder 90% being ETOH proper). This has worked for us
for the past few years as a medium for field preservation of
invertebrates (including arthropods) and yielded DNA of sufficient
quality to analyze 650 base pair fragments of the mitochondrial genome.
Please note, however, that Ethanol SHOULD NOT be considered as a
long-term solution for DNA archival - as of yet, there is no proven
substitute for cryopreservation!

Best wishes,
Alex

Donat Agosti wrote:
> Storage of specimens in ethanol
>
> I would appreciate to know whether the 2% Methylethylketon added to Ethanol
> has an effect on the usability of specimen for DNA work?
>
> Methylethylketon is used to make Ethanol not palatable for human.
>
> Thanks
>
> Donat
>

> Dr. Donat Agosti
> Science Consultant
> Research Associate, American Museum of Natural History and Naturmuseum der
> Burgergemeinde Bern
> Email: agosti at amnh.org
> Web: http://antbase.org
> Blog: http://biodivcontext.blogspot.com/