[Taxacom] software DIVA

Karl Magnacca kmagnacca at wesleyan.edu
Thu Nov 13 12:41:17 CST 2008

On Thu, November 13, 2008 6:04 pm, Vesna Karaman-Castro wrote:
> I am trying to use DIVA, a software for reconstruction of ancestral
> distribution in phylogeny. For some reason, the program will not open
> the file. Instead, as it is processing the file this is what appears
> on the screen: "AC3.txt opened as proc file" and then: "error - too
> many characters in input". After pressing yes to continue the
> process, the second message appears: "error - duplicated or incorrect
> number of tokens". The tree at the end of the file, however, was read
> successfully. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

You have to have *no* taxon names.  Even though it claims you can, it
doesn't work with them.  You should have a working file with the names,
and then delete them just before running it in DIVA by using vertical
select (in Paup, this is done by holding down the Alt key while
selecting with the mouse) and saving under a different name.  It's quite
maddening, but I couldn't find any other way to get it to run.

Karl
Karl Magnacca
Postdoctoral Researcher
Department of Zoology