[Taxacom] real molecular data

Karl Magnacca kmagnacca at wesleyan.edu
Thu Nov 13 12:48:40 CST 2008

On Thu, November 13, 2008 5:39 pm, John Grehan wrote:
> OK - just to prove I am nuts, I scanned every one of 21,507 sequence
> positions for coding data in the Prasad et al 2008 study (Confirming the
> phylogeny of mammals by use of large comparative sequence data sets Mol.
> Biol. Evol. 25: 1795-1808). The coding sequences produced (by parsimony
> analysis) a human-chimpanzee clade followed by gorilla and orangutan.

You are nuts.  You're looking at a dataset that was chosen to look at
ordinal-level relationships.  Any sequence that would provide
significant numbers of synapomorphies for human-orangutan (whatever the
relationship is) would be useless at the level they're looking at.
That's why the human-chimp-gorilla clade they showed had no support.

Karl
Karl Magnacca
Postdoctoral Researcher
Department of Zoology