[Taxacom] Origin of New Caledonian Biogeography

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Tue Nov 18 08:21:33 CST 2008

> bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu] On Behalf Of Robert Huber
> I agree that the role of tectonics is overestimated in Head's paper.

I look forward to seeing the relevant biogeographic analysis in support.

> In contrast, other factors  -such as climate! - which could explain
such
> patterns much better are not discussed at all.

On p. 472 Heads does address both soil type (raised by Kinman) and
climate to point out that there is no obvious relationship between the
disjunctions and either factor. Others may disagree, but I wait to see
their published analyses.

The rain rich area in the southeastern
> part quite nicely matches the concentration of many litzard
species/clades
> here. And as you already mention soil chemistry might als be very
> important.

But the biogeographic patterns referred to go beyond this immediate
region.

I think it is great that the paper elicits interest of this kind,
although I hope that people will read the paper in detail before
commenting.

John Grehan