[Taxacom] Origin of New Caledonian Biogeography

Robert Huber rhuber at wdc-mare.org
Tue Nov 18 09:45:47 CST 2008

John,

Just to conclude and clarify: It seems as if you believe in the conclusions
of this paper while I am not convinced.  Btw. I did read this paper in
enough detail to find these two short sentences on climate on page 472.
And I promise: I will never join discussions on panbiogeography again unless
I can provide some peer reviewed and published arguments ;)

Robert

2008/11/18 John Grehan <jgrehan at sciencebuff.org>

> > bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu] On Behalf Of Robert Huber
> > I agree that the role of tectonics is overestimated in Head's paper.
>
> I look forward to seeing the relevant biogeographic analysis in support.
>
> > In contrast, other factors  -such as climate! - which could explain
> such
> > patterns much better are not discussed at all.
>
> On p. 472 Heads does address both soil type (raised by Kinman) and
> climate to point out that there is no obvious relationship between the
> disjunctions and either factor. Others may disagree, but I wait to see
> their published analyses.
>
> The rain rich area in the southeastern
> > part quite nicely matches the concentration of many litzard
> species/clades
> > here. And as you already mention soil chemistry might als be very
> > important.
>
> But the biogeographic patterns referred to go beyond this immediate
> region.
>
> I think it is great that the paper elicits interest of this kind,
> although I hope that people will read the paper in detail before
> commenting.
>
> John Grehan

Dr. Robert Huber,

WDC-MARE / PANGAEA - www.pangaea.de
Stratigraphy.net - www.stratigraphy.net
MARUM - Institute for Marine Environmental Sciences (location)
University Bremen
Leobener Strasse
POP 330 440
28359 Bremen
Phone ++49 421 218-65593, Fax ++49 421 218-65505
e-mail rhuber at wdc-mare.org