[Taxacom] Evolutionary info from non-monophyly

Bernard.Pfeil at csiro.au Bernard.Pfeil at csiro.au
Sun Nov 23 17:28:23 CST 2008

With regard to paragraph 4, I would argue that "new taxa of higher rank" don't arise de novo within a paraphyletic group as a defensible objective truth (taking as given the inference of relationships).  It is our application of rank that makes the more inclusive group paraphyletic (if we give both groups the same rank).  This application of rank is subjective and often comes with the burden of history, say by the new discovery that family A is actually nested within family B.  Keep them as families and one has the problem of the hierarchical content of the ranked name being made meaningless; change A to a lower rank (or B to a higher one) and you may not.

Of course, if one isn't concerned about the relationships and in communicating that information using ranked names (at least a summary of this information), then using ranks to communicate something about character differences with other ranked names is the obvious thing to do with ranks.

The difficulty comes about because we (some of us at least) have this idea that a certain *amount* or a certain *kind* of difference in characters among groups signifies a certain rank.  I would suggest that characters, like beauty, are in the eye of the beholder and therefore have no special significance in the decision regarding rank.  They do, of course, have a very real role to play in the discovery of relationships, but this is not the main issue as raised by Richard Zander.  I see ranks as a convenience to communicate our current understanding of relationships, but recognise that they are entirely human constructs.

We, as a scientific community, need to finally decide which way we will go with ranked names - to use them to convey relationship information, or character information.  But I don't see that we can in all cases use them to convey both things unambiguously.  If the relationships among taxa have an existence independent of human thought and are potentially discoverable (and provide predictive possibilities), then this is a useful thing to represent and communicate.  If decisions regarding character differences (especially the eye-catching and pretty kind such as flowers) are instead thought to be largely subjective, then I don't see what we gain in trying to communicate this in a ranked nomenclature.  Sure, talk about characters, compare them, test their adaptive significance.  But keep this out of the ranked nomenclature and instead think about a different way of summarising that information.

my 2c

Bernard Pfeil