[Taxacom] Why character-tracking doesn't happen?

Steve Manning sdmanning at asub.edu
Sat Sep 13 17:55:36 CDT 2008

At 05:41 PM 9/13/2008, Steve Manning wrote:
>At 05:36 PM 9/12/2008, you wrote:
>>
>>Thomas Lammers wrote:
>>
>>...an excellent and concise description of my own views!
>>
>>Neil Bell then wrote:
>>
>> > Aggregations of individuals
>> > and populations (generally and eventually, if by no means
>> > always) become discrete units through the process of
>> > speciation. Incomplete lineage sorting and reticulation occur
>> > and should be identified, but they are not the dominant
>> > patterns in the relationships between phylogenetically
>> > distant eukaryotic organisms.
>>
>>I'm not sure I buy that.  It's hard enough characterizing an individual
>>multecellular organism as a "discrete unit" (considering turnover of cells,
>>let alone molecules, over the lifespan of the organism).

This reminds me of a perhaps apocryphal story
about a situation in which a taxonomist,
investigating herbarium specimens, placed three
different collections from the same individual
tree (not knowing they were from the same tree)
into three different genera.  When this became
known, the taxonomist was derided and the butt of
jokes.  But the take home lesson was that maybe
the taxonomist was right after all if what he saw
matched the type specimens of species in three
genera.  Mutations, stages of development and phenotypic plasticity happen!

Steve