[Taxacom] Scientist curators versus collection managers

murrellze murrellze at appstate.edu
Mon Sep 1 14:07:24 CDT 2008

As Director of a network of herbaria in the Southeast USA
(http://www.sernec.org/) I have found that many of the 215 curators in
this network are not systematists, but are often ecologists,
paleobiologists, or curators.  Many of these  curators are associated
with small collections of less than 20,00 specimens.  It seems that the
vigor of the collection is often directly tied to the ability of the
curator to conduct research in these small collection settings.  This
very diverse group of curators points out a second issue, in that the
traditional "taxon-based" societies will not reach much of a target
audience if one wants to address herbarium curators, or I suspect other
museum curators.  The Society of Herbarium Curators
(http://www.societyofherbariumcurators.org/) is a group formed to
provide a network of herbarium curators, regardless of whether they
consider themselves curators or scientist/curators.

As we see resources dwindle for organismic biology and biodiversity
informatics, it is critical that we find ways to support the EXPERTISE
associated with collections.  This diverse community needs access to the
latest tools and technologies.  The experts associated with collections,
regardless of their main workplace function, are the people that can
attract new students to organismic biology.  If we can't find a way to
support those people, then our ability to recruit the biologists of the
future is severely limited.

Zack Murrell