[Taxacom] two new tools with potential in taxonomy and beyond

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Thu Sep 4 16:08:31 CDT 2008

I assume that these two new tools will have a tremendous effect the way we
work.

The New Nikon P6000, the first small compact 13.5Megapixel camera with GPS
built in and thus allowing to GPS every image.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08080702nikonp6000.asp

Googles new Picasa v3, that allows geo-referencing images via Google Earth,
and a new tool allowing to find persons in images. I guess, why not have a
new image of, lets say an ant species, and then search in the existing image
database automatically for the same species using a clever algorithm to
match them up. I am trying it out, but here is a report in the NYT
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/04/googles-photo-face-recognition-is-w
ow-marketing/

Donat

Dr. Donat Agosti

Science Consultant

Research Associate, American Museum of Natural History and Naturmuseum der
Burgergemeinde Bern

Email: agosti at amnh.org

Web:  <http://antbase.org/> http://antbase.org

Blog:  <http://biodivcontext.blogspot.com/>