[Taxacom] two new tools with potential in taxonomy and beyond

Karl Magnacca kmagnacca at wesleyan.edu
Thu Sep 4 17:08:19 CDT 2008

On Thu, September 4, 2008 10:08 pm, Donat Agosti wrote:
> I assume that these two new tools will have a tremendous effect the way
> we work.
>
> The New Nikon P6000, the first small compact 13.5Megapixel camera with
> GPS built in and thus allowing to GPS every image.
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08080702nikonp6000.asp

I kind of wonder what kind of reception such a small GPS receiver will
get, considering how much trouble a dedicated one has.  On the camera
side, the lens only goes to f5.9.  Not gonna cut it for taking any kind
of closeup; my Canon does f8.0 and that's barely tolerable, not good
enough for anything serious, and there's a big difference in that step.
I also wonder about having a 13.5Mp sensor in a compact camera as well;
mine is 10.0, but pixel-for-pixel it's considerably noisier than my old
4Mp camera, so overall the quality isn't that much better.

Sorry for sounding like a naysayer.  It is a good idea!

Karl
Karl Magnacca
Postdoctoral Researcher
Department of Zoology