[Taxacom] Ding Hou

Veldkamp, J.F. (Jan Frits) Veldkamp at nhn.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Sep 11 06:59:18 CDT 2008

Dear Friends,

It is with great regret that we have to announce the death of our beloved colleague, Dr. Ding Hou (11 October 1921, Hsingkan, Jiangxi, China). He had been ill for some time and died on 9 September 2008, in the hospital in Leiden. He will be cremated on Friday the 12th, in the afternoon at the Rhijnhof, Leiden.

Ding is best known for his very important revisions of Anacardiaceae, Anisophylleaceae, Aristolochiaceae,  Celastraceae, Rhizophoraceae, and Thymelaeaceae of SE Asia. Lately he was revising some genera of the Leguminosae. He published 105 new taxa or combinations in these families and is himself commemorated in Aristolochia dinghoui Favio González & O. Poncy (Aristolochiaceae), Parishia dinghouiana Kochummen (Anacardiaceae), and Thottea dinghoui K. Swarupanandan (Aristolochiaceae).

Arriving in 1956, he was until recently in his amiable, quiet, and modest way an important staff member of the Rijksherbarium, now National Herbarium of The Netherlands, Leiden,  even working on even after his retirement. He was always willing to discuss taxonomic problems and was an invaluable help in translating Chinese texts. He will be greatly missed.
For a more extensive biography, bibliography, portrait, see Baas & Adema and Lut, Blumea 46 (2001) 201--205.

He is survived by his wife, Sue Hou-Liu, to whom we extend our sincere condolences.

On behalf of the National Herbarium of The Netherlands and the Hortus Botanicus, Leiden.

Eric Smets, Director