[Taxacom] Fwd: Re: Why character-tracking doesn't happen?

John Pinto jpinto at ucr.edu
Fri Sep 12 11:33:23 CDT 2008

>I always find it odd when people criticise cladistics and/or
>phylogenetics without suggesting how the questions they ask could be
>better answered. The implication seems to be that either 1) the
>questions are unanswerable 2) they are not interesting, or 3) there must
>be better ways to address them but we don't know what they are...

Neil:

I think the issue for many is not that we don't subscribe to cladistic
methodology as a useful, perhaps even the best available, tool for
hypothesizing relationships.  The question is more - when do we have
adequate cladistic support to modify existing classifications?  Many
cladists have historically insisted classifications must correspond to
cladistic results - which many times might be unwarranted given the tenuous
nature of these results.  Those who consider their final cladogram
tentative and not sufficiently robust to warrant a change in classification
are then often castigated for recognizing paraphyletic