[Taxacom] Why character-tracking doesn't happen?

Curtis Clark jcclark-lists at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 13 09:28:34 CDT 2008

On 2008-09-12 09:23, Thomas G. Lammers wrote:
> No.  I do not accept the "reality" of species.  They are an aggregation of
> convenience.  Even populations can be of dubious reality.  The only reality
> is the individual.

Okay, that explains a lot. I suppose that makes the study of speciation
equivalent to the study of leprechauns.

But why stop with the individual in your reductionism? The only reality
is the quark...for now.

> Guess you've not worked with angiosperms, huh?

I have; I actually studied hybrid speciation, and thought that I could
distinguish it from lineage-splitting based on character distributions.
But then I guess all that is leprechauns.

> I don't think there is a better methodology than cladistics for answer
> relationship questions above the level of species.

If species aren't real, those questions are theological, not scientific.