[Taxacom] Why character-tracking doesn't happen?

Curtis Clark jcclark-lists at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 13 10:22:38 CDT 2008

On 2008-09-12 21:16, Bob Mesibov wrote:
> [Logically, we should not look to such a tree to track the morphological
> characters already used in the analysis, but this raises the nasty
> question of how to discover characters of interest which evolve
> independently of those previously analysed.]

I actually gave a presentation of a method to deal with that, back in
1995 (Clark, Curtis. 1995. Reconciling phenotypic and ITS sequence
phylogenies in the Encelia alliance (Asteraceae: Heliantheae) to study
character evolution. Amer. J. Bot. 82(6), Supplement, p. 120.; the
powerpoint is at
http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/encelia/charevol/index.htm)

I'm not convinced after all these years that I was on the right track,
but the issues seemed obvious even then.