[Taxacom] Why character-tracking doesn't happen?

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 02:11:35 CDT 2008

The version I heard was about Harold St John in Hawaii naming three
separate sheets taken from the same vine as three separate species.
Told by an ornithologist who knew a botanist who knew the collector so
it *must* be true.

The pattern of the same situation with different protagonists is
fairly indicative of urban myths.   However quick search of snopes.com
for 'species' and 'identification' did not implicate any taxonomists.
 So maybe it is true.  If it is not, it ought to be...  :)

jim