[Taxacom] Why character-tracking doesn't happen?

Thomas G. Lammers lammers at uwosh.edu
Mon Sep 15 07:51:15 CDT 2008

At 02:11 AM 9/15/2008, Jim Croft wrote:
>The version I heard was about Harold St John in Hawaii naming three
>separate sheets taken from the same vine as three separate species.
>Told by an ornithologist who knew a botanist who knew the collector so
>it *must* be true.

I can confirm that ...

Delissea coriacea var. deltoidea H. St. John, Phytologia 63: 340. 1987.
Delissea perlmanii H. St. John, Phytologia 63: 346. 1987.

... are based on different sheets of S. Perlman 1 at BISH

Furthermore, the type of Cyrtandra puberis H. St. John, Phytologia 64: 41
(1987) is also said to be S. Perlman 1 at BISH but I have not seen that sheet.

This was largely a function, I suspect, of being ca. 90 years old with
cataracts ...

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Associate Professor and Curator of the Herbarium (OSH)
Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA

e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu