[Taxacom] Species Numbers

bti at dsmz.de bti at dsmz.de
Thu Sep 18 00:18:03 CDT 2008

Dear Arthur,
the problem with such a report is that it probably centres on the
number of "species that have been named". In the case of prokaryotes
the list I saw last gave the impression that Australia was virtually
void of prokaryotes. The clause under prokaryotes is that although
about 10,000 names have been registered (with emphasis on
registration) under our Code the actually number of taxa to be
discivered and characterised properly is probably comparable with the
number of botanical and zoological taxa combined. The published data
clearly supports this hypothesis. We humans are a walking ecosystem,
providing a home for anywhere between 800-1,000 species (a good number
of which are essential to our survival). The lowest level of all
ecosystems are microscopic organsims, which we tend to ignore in our
"calculations".
Brian

Quoting Arthur Chapman <taxacom3 at achapman.org>:

> Some years ago I published a report on the "Numbers of Living Species in
> Australia and the World" for the Australian Government.  The publication
> can be found at
> http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/abrs/publications/other/species-numbers/index.html.
> This document was largely a synthesis of published information, and
> information supplied to me by researchers around the world and I thank
> all those who supplied me with information at the time.
>
>  The Australian Government now wishes for the document to be updated.
>
>  If anyone has any comments on the document, references to relevant
> papers, or any other information, I would be most grateful to receive it.
>
>  I would like to split up some groups more if possible -- for example
> the insects to order level if information on the numbers in each order
> is available.
>
>  All comments and references will be fully acknowledged.
>
>  Please send any information to species_numbers<<you know what to put
> here>>achapman.org
>
>  Arthur D. Chapman
> Australian Biodiversity Services
> Toowoomba, Australia

Dr.B.J.Tindall
DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikro-
organismen und Zellkulturen GmbH
Inhoffenstra=DFe 7B
38124 Braunschweig
Germany
Tel. ++49 531-2616-224
Fax  ++49 531-2616-418
http://www.dsmz.de
Director: Prof. Dr. Erko Stackebrandt
Local court: Braunschweig HRB 2570
Chairman of the management board: MR Dr. Axel Kollatschny

DSMZ - A member of the Leibniz Association (WGL)