[Taxacom] Species Numbers

Arthur Chapman taxacom3 at achapman.org
Thu Sep 18 00:55:24 CDT 2008

Dear Brian

Indeed - a problem!  As you can see from my publication, in many places
I cite "unknown" for many of the prokaryotes and others lower
organisms.  Wherever possible though, we have cited whatever published
estimates there are.  Sometimes, we are only able to provide a range.

For example, if you look at the viruses (page 45) - we have stated that
"The main problem in estimating the number of species of viruses is
knowing just what constitutes a species in the group" - and indeed we
have had many discussions on what is a species on Taxacom over the
years.  You will also see that for the viruses I have found some
estimated numbers for the World, but not for Australia.  Indeed a
problem, but for a publication such as this, it is only possible to cite
what people have published, or are prepared to give me, and any number
is at least a starting point for discussion.

For the Bacteria (Monera), excluding Cyanobacteria estimates for the
world vary from 50,000 to over 3 million, and for Australia with only
around 40 described species, the estimate is that this may only be 0.1%
of the total number of species.

As you mention - the prokaryotes are indeed a problem.

The publication cites both described and estimated for all groups where
I have been able to find any information.  If you go through the
publication and are able to put any figures for any of those groups it
would be appreciated. As much as providing information on what we do
know, and what we think we may know, I think such a publication gives a
strong indication of just how much we do not know.

I appreciate your input.

Arthur