[Taxacom] favourite online key?

Mike Dallwitz m.j.dallwitz at netspeed.com.au
Thu Sep 18 19:32:00 CDT 2008

> I am looking for suggestions for favourite online or other computer-based
> identification keys. This is for a new project with the Royal BC Museum
> (Canada) to create online keys which are primarily aimed at the general
> public (or that part of the general public which is interested in
> species-level identification of their local fauna).

There are many interactive keys at http://delta-intkey.com. Reliable keys
require character definitions which can be understood by users, and
appropriate features in the software, such as error tolerance (see
http://delta-intkey.com/www/interactivekeys.htm).

In particular, I suggest you look at the keys marked with images on the
index page http://delta-intkey.com/www/data.htm. These are:

* Butterflies and moths - demonstration key made for open days at CSIRO
Entomology. The characters do not require special knowledge, and the
illustrations can be used as ‘specimens’ to be identified. It can be used
successfully by children 5 years and older.

* British ferns - keys using Intkey and Navikey, constructed from the same data.

* Fruit fly pests of the world - keys using Intkey and Lucid, constructed
from the same data.

All the interactive key programs that I'm aware of are listed at
http://delta-intkey.com/www/idprogs.htm. There are links to the Web sites
for the programs, and most of these sites contain examples of keys, which
presumably show the programs to the best advantage.

--
Mike Dallwitz
Contact information: http://delta-intkey.com/contact/dallwitz.htm