[Taxacom] favourite online key

Brad Boyle bboyle at email.arizona.edu
Fri Sep 19 13:45:31 CDT 2008

Hi Julia:

Kevin Nixon at Cornell has several image-rich keys available on his
website www.plantsystematics.org. Click on "Keys" in the upper left.
Try "Families of Dicotyledons" and "Neotropical Fern Genera". The
family key gets a lot of use. The individual keys can be downloaded to
a handheld device; useful for field id, although perhaps not relevant
to your project.

--Brad

Quoting taxacom-request at mailman.nhm.ku.edu:

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:13:59 +0200
> From: Julia Sigwart <julia.sigwart at ucd.ie>
> Subject: [Taxacom] favourite online key?
> To: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
>
> Dear all
>
> I am looking for suggestions for favourite online or other
> computer-based identification keys.
> This is for a new project with the Royal BC Museum (Canada) to create
> online keys which are primarily aimed at the general public (or that
> part of the general public which is interested in species-level
> identification of their local fauna). The first two projects are
> grasses and chitons (polyplacophoran molluscs) -- the idea is to use
> a platform which can accommodate both of these and others in future.
> Just to be clear, I am *not* interested in being pointed to software
> (Lucid, Xper2, etc etc etc) but instead to specific, working and
> available examples that you have used and would recommend as a model
> for presentation and interactivity.
> If you have used a key -- for any group of fauna or flora -- that you
> would recommend as a model for this project, can you please let me
> know?
>
> Thanks to all in advance!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Julia
>
> --
> Julia Sigwart, PhD
> Collections-based Biology in Dublin
> University College Dublin &
> National Museum of Ireland
> http://www.ucd.ie/cobid/sigwart.htm

Brad Boyle, Ph.D.
Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of Arizona
BSW 310
P.O. Box 210088
Tucson, AZ 85721, USA