[Taxacom] favourite online key?

Donna I. Ford-Werntz dford2 at wvu.edu
Fri Sep 19 14:34:57 CDT 2008

Julia, A CD of interactive keys for plants of BC (including grasses) is
available (not free) from Flora ID Northwest.  For details see
www.xidservices.com or contact Bruce Barnes (email above).  I've used the
program for plants in the eastern U.S. and found it quite workable (simple,
accurate, several nice features).  Animal applications could be readily
done (don't know if any exist).
>I am looking for suggestions for favourite online or other computer-based
>identification keys.
>This is for a new project with the Royal BC Museum (Canada) to create
>online keys which are primarily aimed at the general public (or that part
>of the general public which is interested in species-level identification
>of their local fauna). The first two projects are grasses and chitons
>(polyplacophoran molluscs) -- the idea is to use a platform which can
>accommodate both of these and others in future.
>Just to be clear, I am *not* interested in being pointed to software
>(Lucid, Xper2, etc etc etc) but instead to specific, working and available
>examples that you have used and would recommend as a model for
>presentation and interactivity.
>If you have used a key -- for any group of fauna or flora -- that you
>would recommend as a model for this project, can you please let me know?
\>Julia Sigwart, PhD
>Collections-based Biology in Dublin
>University College Dublin &
>National Museum of Ireland
>http://www.ucd.ie/cobid/sigwart.htm

Donna I. Ford-Werntz     West Virginia Univ.

Herbarium Curator (WVA)  Box 6057

Assoc. Prof. Biol.       Morgantown, WV 26506

5230 Life Sciences       293-5201 X31549
email: dford2 at wvu.edu    fax: (304)293-6363

Web site at http://www.as.wvu.edu/biology/