[Taxacom] taxon wikipedia type resources

Una Smith una.smith at att.net
Sat Sep 20 00:30:01 CDT 2008

Jim Croft wrote:
>Given the fact that for the most part taxonomists are once
>opinionated, doctrinaire, possessive, elitist, authoritarian and
>conservative control freaks (isn't order and control the very
>definition of taxonomy?), ...

Something that always bugged me about zoologists was their checklists,
with some taxonomic names flip-flopping from one checklist to the next,
as each new one came out, reflecting an ongoing "Is too!", "Is not!"
argument in the literature.  Wikipedia is refreshing in that neutral
POV requires that such cases simply be noted as unstable.  Of course,
unstable is unsatisfactory.

	Una Smith
	New Mexico