[Taxacom] Cadetia kutubu

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Fri Sep 26 02:24:45 CDT 2008

It would be both nomenclaturally and taxonomically irresponsible to
publish another name for this taxon without examining the type and
reaching the (presumably) same conclusion that the person(s) who
originally proposed the name reached - that the taxon was undescribed
and worthy of a name at the rank of species. Nomeclature is, and always
has been, a servant of taxonomy. The ICBN aim at the provision of a
stable method of naming taxonomic groups, avoiding and rejecting the use
of names that may cause ambiguity or throw science into confusion ...
(the Preamble to the Code). To publish a different name for this taxon
would do just that. The taxon (if it is new) has a name already,
presumably there are other data about it that 'we' are unaware of, is it
relevant in the 21st century that the name complies with the regulations
in some document first written at the end of the 19th century?

Paul