[Taxacom] Macroslope

Alex Borisenko aborisen at uoguelph.ca
Mon Sep 29 08:19:31 CDT 2008

Hi Robin,

The term 'macroslope' (in its Russian form - "макросклон") is actively
used in Russian biogeographic literature in the meaning you had
outlined, although there seem to be no 'official' definitions for it in
any specialized Russain dictionaries (at least online), which is odd.
Occurrences of the English word that I was able to confirm seem to
originate from papers written by Russian authors, so I do not know if
this qualifies as 'legitimate' usage. That said, this is a convenient
way to define parts of large mountain systems with a certain aspect, so
maybe it is about time to introduce the term anyway...

Best wishes,
Alex

Robin Leech wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I found a Russian Geology paper that uses the word "macroslope".
>
> Volodicheva, Natalya. [no date]  #15.  The Caucasus, p. 350-376, illust.
>     IN: Maria Shahgedanova (ed.). The Physical Geography of Northern
> Eurasia.
>
> The text mentioned above is at least 1998, and "macroslope" is used but not
> defined.
>
> Robin

Alex Borisenko, Ph.D.
Curator of zoological collections