[Taxacom] Taxacom Digest, Vol 30, Issue 24

Michael Denslow mwdenslow at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 29 08:54:09 CDT 2008

Hi Robin,

>From my point of view this is not a commonly use term and would need to be defined within the paper.

I am relatively familiar with the literature on elevation gradients in diversity, which are some times sampled along entire mountain ranges, and I have not come across this term. In fact if you search web of science you will only get 10 results for 'macroslope'. 


Michael Denslow

I.W. Carpenter Jr. Herbarium [BOON]
Appalachian State University 
Boone, North Carolina, USA


Communications Manager
SERNEC, Southeastern Regional Network of Expertise and Collections

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 15:10:50 -0600
> From: "Robin Leech"
> <releech at telusplanet.net>
> Subject: [Taxacom] Macroslope
> To: <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
> Message-ID: <34AEA6C38E6044838D845735569656E3 at Leech>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="Windows-1252"
> Hi Taxacomers,
> Anyone out there use the word "macroslope" yet?
> I have been reading a manuscript on spiders, and 
> this word was used.  I have never seen it used in 
> English before, and apparently it is a direct translation 
> from the Russian.
> For example, we talk about a mountain slope.  But 
> when the slope is on a range, e.g., The Rocky Mountain 
> Range, then it becomes a macroslope.
> Does anyone have a reference or have an existing 
> definition for it in English?  Any help much appreciated.
> I have asked a geologist and a geographer, but have not 
> yet had a reply from either.
> Robin 

> ***************************************


More information about the Taxacom mailing list