[Taxacom] Macroslope

Neil Bell neil.bell at helsinki.fi
Mon Sep 29 10:01:30 CDT 2008

Hi all,

I notice that "microslope" also has some hits in google.

Extrapolating from context, it seems that "macroslope" is used to mean
variation in elevation over a large area (i.e. at a course resolution),
while "microslope" is over a small area or at a fine resolution, i.e.
they are aspects of topography at different scales. Perhaps the
important thing is that a given point could exist on a macroslope of one
gradient and a microslope of another, and that both of these could be
independently significant?

I also wondered at first whether macro/micro could refer to magnitude of
gradient, but this doesn't seem to be how the words are used.

Neil.

Neil E. Bell
Postdoctoral Researcher
(Bryophyte Systematics)