[Taxacom] Macroslope

Karl Magnacca kmagnacca at wesleyan.edu
Mon Sep 29 10:28:13 CDT 2008

On Mon, September 29, 2008 4:01 pm, Neil Bell wrote:
> I notice that "microslope" also has some hits in google.
>
> Extrapolating from context, it seems that "macroslope" is used to mean
> variation in elevation over a large area (i.e. at a course resolution),
> while "microslope" is over a small area or at a fine resolution, i.e.
> they are aspects of topography at different scales. Perhaps the
> important thing is that a given point could exist on a macroslope of one
> gradient and a microslope of another, and that both of these could be
> independently significant?

The thing is, there appear to be two very different scales of
"macroslope".  When used in opposition to microslope (which is on a
scale of centimeters), it's on a scale of meters or tens of meters;
i.e., the slope of a hillside compared to where you took a particular
small sample.  But most of the papers seem to use it to refer the the
general slope of the face of a mountain range.

Karl
Karl Magnacca
Postdoctoral Researcher
Department of Zoology