[Taxacom] New species descriptions based on only 1 specimen

Steve Lingafelter steve.lingafelter at ars.usda.gov
Tue Sep 30 14:17:15 CDT 2008

Hi Taxacomers,
I realize this is a tired debate, but nevertheless...

I'm interested in some current opinions.  I am at the final stages of data
collection for a field guide to Dominican Republic Cerambycidae...however,
I've got a handful of very charismatic new species which are sadly, after 10
expeditions (4 by our group; several by Carnegie Museum and Harvard),
represented by only 1 specimen each.

I want to describe them and have them available for the field guide but I
realize this is not an ideal situation (and I believe not accepted by some
journals).  Am I making a mountain out of a mole-hill, and should I just
describe the darned things?

What would you do?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Steve
Steven W. Lingafelter, Ph. D.
Systematic Entomology Lab, PSI, ARS, USDA
National Museum of Natural History, MRC-168
P O Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012
U. S. A.