[Taxacom] New species descriptions based on only 1 specimen

Michael A. Ivie mivie at montana.edu
Tue Sep 30 15:00:49 CDT 2008

My Vote:

Mountain out of a mole hill.  Generate a testable hypothesis with the
description, and it can be tested with further information.  Reviewers
should decide if the species is well supported as a species based on
characters presented.

Mike

Steve Lingafelter wrote:
> Hi Taxacomers,
> I realize this is a tired debate, but nevertheless...
>
> I'm interested in some current opinions.  I am at the final stages of data
> collection for a field guide to Dominican Republic Cerambycidae...however,
> I've got a handful of very charismatic new species which are sadly, after 10
> expeditions (4 by our group; several by Carnegie Museum and Harvard),
> represented by only 1 specimen each.
>
> I want to describe them and have them available for the field guide but I
> realize this is not an ideal situation (and I believe not accepted by some
> journals).  Am I making a mountain out of a mole-hill, and should I just
> describe the darned things?
>
> What would you do?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts,
> Steve
> ____________________________
> Steven W. Lingafelter, Ph. D.
> Systematic Entomology Lab, PSI, ARS, USDA
> National Museum of Natural History, MRC-168
> P O Box 37012
> Washington, DC 20013-7012
> U. S. A.

NOTE NEW ADDRESS (As of 01/01/2007 DO NOT USE OLD P.O. BOX ADDRESS):

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

For Postal Service, FedEx, UPS or Freight Delivery:

Montana Entomology Collection
Marsh Labs, Room 50
Montana State University
1601 S. 19th Ave