[Taxacom] New species descriptions based on only 1 specimen

Jean-Michel Maes jmmaes at ibw.com.ni
Tue Sep 30 17:47:39 CDT 2008

Hi,

Difficult to answer by yes or no. In theory, it's not a good idea to
describe a species on 1 specimen. But... In the case of a revision, better
to describe the species available, even if there is only one specimen, so
all species are available to play with. Another person can find the way to
rear the species or to collect more and confirm the validity of the species
or put it as a synonym of another species. I know it's not an election, but
my vote would be to describe the species, even on an orphan specimen.

Sincerely,

Jean-Michel.

Dr. Jean-Michel MAES
MUSEO ENTOMOLOGICO
AP 527
LEON
NICARAGUA
tel 505-3116586
cel 505-48-11-351
jmmaes at ibw.com.ni
jmmaes at bio-nica.info
jmmaes at yahoo.com
jmmaes at walla.com

www.bio-nica.info (main page in spanish)
http://360.yahoo.com/jmmaes
http://www.ibw.com.ni/u/jmmaes (pequeña pagina de contacto)
inscribirse si le parece)
www.avesnicaragua.org (aves)
http://www.coleoptera.org/p1760.htm (Lucanidae genera)

Save a tree. Do not print this message if not really necessary