[Taxacom] Strepsirhini and Haplorhini (Catarrhini and Platyrrhini)

Michael Heads michael.heads at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 25 15:58:00 CDT 2009

Dear colleagues,

One biologist named a group Strepsirrhini and later another biologist named another group Haplorhini. Why change these original spellings? Where is the confusion? None – it’s all been caused later on by people trying to ‘correct’ the published names. If the ‘meddlers’, ‘Greek scholars’ etc. had just left it alone and accepted the principle of priority, a century on we wouldn’t have two spellings for strepsirrhines and still be arguing about it. One ‘r’ or two ‘r’s’ in one name isn’t so important, but the principle of priority is.
   Another example of confusion caused by ignoring priority is in the plant family names. Several of the most common families (like strepsirrhines) now have two names. Students in Ghana, Fiji, Kalamazoo etc. have enough trouble learning one name for Compositae, Leguminosae, Guttiferae, Cruciferae, Labiatae etc., now they have to learn two, because both are widespread. Standard references (e.g. Panero & Funk 2002) now refer to ‘Compositae (Asteraceae)’. It’s a disaster! It was caused by some bright spark in the 1970s who decided that the old-fashioned family names with  ‘untidy’ endings had to be ‘corrected’, ignored priority, and didn’t understand (or care) that the old names would persist. An equivalent would be if some bureaucratic chemist decided that the names of all the elements had to end in –ium.

Michael Heads

Wellington, New Zealand.

My papers on biogeography are at the Buffalo Museum website: www.sciencebuff.org/research/current-research-activities/john-grehan/evolutionary-biography/panbiogeographic-publications/heads-publications/