[Taxacom] ICZN Article 16.2

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Thu Dec 10 05:28:11 CST 2009

> Article 65.1. Correct identification assumed. It is to be assumed,
> unless there is clear evidence to the contrary, that an author who
> establishes a nominal family-group taxon has correctly identified
> its type genus
This does not mean that the type genus would not need to be cited, it
only means that we must assume that the cited type genus was
identified correctly by the author. A genus is identified by its type
species. So Art. 65.1 assumes that the author who cited the type
genus knew its correct type species, and also knew on which types the
type species was based.

> Clearly, though, the issue of misidentified type genus is entirely
> independent of the issue of citation of a type genus
Absolutely.

Francisco

University of Goettingen, Germany
www.animalbase.org