[Taxacom] London - Systematics Association Lecture and AGM, 9thDec

mivie at montana.edu mivie at montana.edu
Thu Dec 3 11:41:34 CST 2009

> Darwin's biggest mistake was in his failure to recognize biogeographic
> patterns as historically informative. Against that, his gradualism
> (which lies at the core of molecular clock systematics) is just a
> sideshow.

While I agree that Darwin did not use biogeography directly, the fact that
the final few nails he needed came from Wallace provides some cover, as
Wallace certainly used biogeographic pattern to formulate his theory of
evolution.  His Sarawak Law paper, and his letter to Darwin are both
nearly totally dependent on biogeographic pattern.

Mike