[Taxacom] London - Systematics Association Lecture and AGM, 9thDec

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Thu Dec 3 11:53:03 CST 2009

But both Darwin and Wallace looked to biology (dispersal ability) as the
key rather than geography itself - even though the latter (at least for
Darwin) comprised the evolutionary evidence - which is why the Origin
focuses on dispersal mechanisms rather than spatial patterns. I recall
papers that argue a more complex view by Wallace, but I have not studied
the latter in any depth so it's possible that Wallace did not fail as
much as Darwin. I'll leave it to others more informed to comment on
that.

John Grehan

AGM,
> 9thDec
>
> > Darwin's biggest mistake was in his failure to recognize
biogeographic
> > patterns as historically informative. Against that, his gradualism
> > (which lies at the core of molecular clock systematics) is just a
> > sideshow.
>
> While I agree that Darwin did not use biogeography directly, the fact
that
> the final few nails he needed came from Wallace provides some cover,
as
> Wallace certainly used biogeographic pattern to formulate his theory
of
> evolution.  His Sarawak Law paper, and his letter to Darwin are both
> nearly totally dependent on biogeographic pattern.
>
> Mike
>

> > John Grehan

AGM,
> >> 9thDec
> >>
> >> The Systematics Association
> >> Annual General Meeting and President's lecture
> >>
> >> Gradualism: Darwin's biggest mistake?
> >>
> >> Prof. Richard Bateman - Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew and University
of
> >> Birmingham
> >>
> >> The Linnean Society, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London
> >> Wednesday 9th December 2009, 6 pm (following AGM at 5pm)
> >>
> >> The meeting is open to visitors. Wine will be served after the
lecture
> >> to members and guests. Please advertise this lecture as widely as
you
> >> can.
> >> The associations' AGM will be held before the lecture at 5pm.
> >>
> >> Abstract: Although Darwin's many achievements have been justly
lauded
> >> worldwide during 2009, his repeated assertions that all
evolutionary
> >> change
> >> is imperceptibly gradual have escaped serious criticism from modern
> >> commentators. The evidence that gradual change results in
speciation
> > is
> >> circumstantial in even the best documented cases, and usually
relies
> > on
> >> inadequate assessments of fitness. In contrast, saltational
mechanisms
> >> requiring that radical and instantaneous phenotypic change leads
> >> directly to
> >> de facto speciation are still widely ridiculed in most biological
> >> constituencies, despite accumulating evidence of their viability.
This