[Taxacom] London - Systematics Association Lecture and AGM, 9thDec

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Thu Dec 3 21:22:48 CST 2009

Robin Leech wrote:
> Mike, you must understand that his geologist mentor, Lyell, and many others
> of his day all thought things occurred gradually.  Nothing happened
> suddenly.

* and that this was a reaction to unphysical catastrophism in the
previous generation. Uniformitarianism was the first great null
hypothesis of historical science, and Darwin "merely" applied it to life
and natural selection. And as in geology, I think it's fair to say that
it has been "nuanced" rather than falsified by subsequent discoveries of
relatively sudden evolutionary and geological events.

fred.

            Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
      (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca