[Taxacom] FW: Does anybody know this fungus?

Redhead, Scott Scott.Redhead at AGR.GC.CA
Fri Dec 11 06:52:09 CST 2009

Yes, very funny. I think finally somebody (Leif) does recognize it and is correct.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Leif Ryvarden [mailto:leif.ryvarden at bio.uio.no]
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2009 5:23 AM
To: Florence Nishida; hendler at nhm.org; Redhead, Scott; taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
Cc: Erast Parmasto
Subject: Re: FW: [Taxacom] Does anybody know this fungus?

Hello Florence

Thanks for the letter with the beautiful red polypore.
I am almost sure that this is Rubroporus carneoporis Log.-Leit, Ryvarden
& Groposo which we described in Mycotaxon 83:224, 2002 from Southern Brazil.
I would like to have a copy of the picture electronically if possible.
There is also another species of Rubroporus  aurantiaca, which was
described by myself from Belize. The two species are separated on basis
of pores and basidiospores, thus for a 100% reliable determination it
would be fine if I could be sent a small  piece of the basidiocarp.
Have a nice Christmas to you and your family.
We miss the snow (global warming you know) otherwise everything is fine.
Leif

PS Thanks for the reference to the violins made of fungal infected wood
I will follow that information very interesting.