[Taxacom] Proposed Amendment to the Code

Kipling (Kip) Will kipwill at berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 23 12:29:51 CST 2009

If governmental funding agencies mandated that all publications
resulting from research significantly supported by public funds (e.g.
NSF, NIH, USDA) must be Open Access with relatively loose copyright
control, we would see a pretty rapid shift and appropriate technology
would emerge to handle these issues. Just follow the money.

After all it is the people's money and so the results and information
should be publicly and freely available. Our taxes already paid for it
once. Maybe some publishers would lobby against this.

cheers,
Kip

(p.s. No, I haven't always published OA, but I am changin' my ways)

--
Kipling W. Will
Associate Professor/Insect Systematist

mail to:
137 Mulford Hall
ESPM Dept.- Organisms & Environment Div.
University of California
Berkeley, California 94720

phone 510-642-4296
fax 510-643-5438