[Taxacom] Proposed Amendment to the Code

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Wed Dec 23 12:36:48 CST 2009

Open Access can be lucrative to publishers. I recently responded to a
survey by Nature Publishing regarding a possible Open Access journal
they are contemplating. The last question was "Would you be willing to
pay US$5000 for publishing an article?" I replied "Laughable."

Only people with NIH grants would be able to participate in Open Access
if all publishers were this avaricious, grading to venal and mercenary
if payment helped ensure publication. Open Access can open a can of
worms.

Richard H. Zander
Voice: 314-577-0276
Missouri Botanical Garden