[Taxacom] Proposed Amendment to the Code

Frank.Krell at dmns.org Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Wed Dec 23 13:20:19 CST 2009

Being the editor-in-chief for our open-access museum journal, the Denver Museum of Nature & Science Annals (http://www.dmns.org/science/publications ), I might be in a position to reveal some information about production costs of scientific journals.
First of all, most scientists are underestimating production costs of their publications. Coming from Europe myself where page charges are unusual, I first didn't understand why I am required to pay page charges for publishing my own papers in American journals. Now, being responsible for the production of a journal myself, I am more aware about realistic costs.
We produce our journal with a locally based production team (production editor, page designer, proof reader). We would cover all production costs excl. printing for $55-$70 page charge per page, probably a bit higher if we get many shorter papers at different times (higher admin efforts). Printing of 100 volumes of 500 pages each costs less than $1500 (soft cover, b&w). Of course, we don't pay our editor (me) or our IT people out of the the journal's budget.