[Taxacom] Proposed Amendment to the Code

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Wed Dec 23 15:58:07 CST 2009

Yes, but open access is more complex than just you "author" have to pay now.
It also means, your institution does NOT have to subscribe anymore. So,
there should be a shift from the library to the author.

Furthermore, USD5K is on figure, something like USD1.5K more the norm in BMC
or PLoS, but the more successful journals in our field, Zootaxa as hybrid
journal where one either can pay page charges and make it fully open access,
or not and then one has to pay charges something like USD20 per page. As far
as I know, Zookeys, a Gold Road open access journal charges everybody, with
the usual exception in this field, ca USD12/page. Both Zootaxa and Zookeys
are businesses that florish, that is they continually publish and can even
have a market share of over10% as is the case in Zootaxa. There are also
other cases, like the publications at AMNH that are open access. Even if you
have as an institution to pay something to keep the organization running, it
is really to consider how many more people access an open access journal,
and that ought be ultimate goal of a funding agencies and the author.

Donat