[Taxacom] Proposed Amendment to the Code

L Penev lyubo.penev at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 01:37:45 CST 2009

We are doing all this already, Frank. All new descriptions in ZooKeys are
mandatory registered in ZooBank and provided as XMLs to EOL, so the link is
there. Besides, we provide the XML descriptions to anyone interested, i.e.,
to WORMS.

We do this on a routine basis, although all the journal is open access and
anyone can download the whole paper as PDF. Why? Because it is not
sufficient nowadys just to "hang" a paper on the Internet and conisder it a
properly disseminated publication.

Such a policy could also be a kind of palliative solution of the copyright
problem for some journals/publishers.

Naturally, the golden road would be to link the XML descriptions to ZooBank
LSIDs direct, which however means that ZooBank must become not only a
register but also a repository for taxa descriptions.

I would love to see a reflection of all these exciting developments in the
5th edition of the Code. Much better as mandatory requirements but at least
as strong recommendations!

Cheers!

Lyubo Penev

Dr Lyubomir Penev