[Taxacom] ICZN Opinions online

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Mon Dec 28 17:21:24 CST 2009

Dear Rod,

Interesting as ever, but raises a few questions (hope you don't mind...)

- How scalable is this approach (i.e. does it depend on manual efforts - whose - how much scope here)

- It is actually more interesting to find all Opinions, etc. dealing with particular taxa - therefore the occurrence of taxon names (and associated information re. status etc.) is really the key for many, perhaps most potential users and cross linking purposes - some/all of this is already avaliable via the ICZN Official Lists and Indexes (though obviously access to the full text via BHL is also relevant) - so maybe the real need is for building electronic taxon indexes to the above (which are currently pdfs I believe), with relevant flags to indicate status and more

- How much of this overlaps the scope / planned activities of ZooBank for legacy content (as opposed to future nomenclatorial acts), and are the two approaches similar / compatible / divergent...

Basically as I see it this is a big problem that needs to be solved by appropriately big (or at least scalable) solutions, otherwise we just have a multitude of partial solutions, some better than others, but nothing coherent and synoptic (both prerequesites for any sort of "one stop shop" in my view). Or maybe everything is a contribution and Google does the aggregation for us (as now, really...).

Also if persons are encouraged to "crowdsource" relevant contributions, it needs to be clear what is the most effective (and durable) avenue for them to do so - in other words, which systems (including what you show) are really experiments / demonstrator projects and which are likely to be long term production systems (with appropriate governance, resourcing, "buy in" from relevant bodies/stakeholders, long term plans and the rest).

Your comments welcome re any of the above,

Regards and happy new year from

Tony Rees, Australia (and S. hemisphere summer).