[Taxacom] Google Earth 5 solution to performance issues
M.Watson at rbge.ac.uk
Mon Feb 16 05:35:31 CST 2009
Last week I upgraded to Google Earth 5 (PC) and found that when I ran
it, it was hogging my system resources with almost continual CPU levels
of 98 or 99%. Obviously this made other applications open at the same
time run at a snails pace.
A few web forums have reported this problem, but the suggested solution
of using DirectX for rendering made no difference to me.
However, I tried playing with some of the preferences and options and
stumbled upon unticking the 'Water Surface' option under 'View' [it is
ticked by default]. This seems to have cured it and I am now back to
As Google Earth is used a lot by taxonomists I thought it would be worth
sharing this on Taxacom.
Dr Mark F. Watson
Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, 20a Inverleith Row, Edinburgh, EH3 5LR,
Tel: +44 (0)131 248 2828 Fax: +44 (0)131 248 2901
RBGE website: www.rbge.org.uk <http://www.rbge.org.uk>
Flora of Nepal website (including Darwin Initiative project):
Umbellifer website: www.umbellifers.com
Flora of China website: flora.huh.harvard.edu/china
Prometheus website: www.prometheusdb.org
The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is a Charity registered in Scotland (No SC007983)
More information about the Taxacom