[Taxacom] GBIF progress

faunaplan at aol.com faunaplan at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 05:19:35 CST 2009

 The GBIF mission is of crucial importance, especially in regard to the Convention on Biological Diversity. I believe there is - despite obvious problems - still a very good chance that GBIF will become the single most important portal to verifiable primary occurrence data. Would there be a second chance if they fail? Probably not so soon... (... to the benefits of certain demagogues ...).

Now there is high urgency to set up a curatorial plan for GBIF. It's a pity to see excellent data (Australia, Costa Rica, Austria, U.K., Scandinavian countries, etc....) mixed up with trash, - to an extent that many qualified users are already turning away. E.g., things like German vernacular names being used as if they were latin binomina are an example of blatant mistakes that will make users think 'why waist our time with GBIF'.

EoL has recently published its curatorial plan and GBIF being one of its most important partners should do the same as soon as possible. As John Irish mentioned, regional experts should be given the chance to take control of data in their region. If collecting localities (e.g., taken from specimen labels) were pre-sorted, region experts could do the job of georeferencing better than anyone else. So, if there was an easy to use gridcell based presorting of all data, it shouldn't be too difficult to organize a network of regional curators.

By the way, regional experts (along with taxon experts) should also play a role in EoL's curatorial strategy. For example, when you go to the spe
cies-page for "Dolomedes fimbriatus" you are informed that this spider is nowhere threatened. Regional experts could tell them that it is indeed listed in the German 'Rote Liste' as well as in several regional red lists!

Cheers,
Wolfgang

-----Urspr√ľngliche Mitteilung-----