[Taxacom] GBIF progress

Dora dora at cria.org.br
Tue Jan 6 13:32:16 CST 2009

Dear All,

I believe that when discussing GBIF's role and the results it has
achieved, one shouldn't only focus on data quality, even though that's
an extremely important item. I'll try to explain what I mean.
Unfortunately Brazil has not yet adhered to GBIF, but I have followed
its developments rather closely and I am part of a team responsible for
structuring a similar facility in Brazil, the speciesLink network
(http://splink.cria.org.br <http://splink.cria.org.br/>). Therefore,
what I intend discussing is based on my experience in Brazil.

The first important role of such initiatives (GBIF, speciesLink, and
many others) is to promote a cultural change in the direction of free
and open sharing of biodiversity data. Such discussions as to data
quality, fit-for-use and so on are only possible because there is a
cultural shift and biological collections and researchers in general are
more and more willing to openly share biodiversity data. In Brazil the
State of São Paulo research foundation funded the speciesLink project
from 2001 and 2005, giving some support to specific collections to share
their data and to CRIA to develop the network. The project ended in
October, 2005 with 36 collections and about 710 thousand records
available on-line. In the last 3 years there have been small grants for
specific collections, and for IT development (we have received small
grants from our Ministry of Science and Technology, Brazilian Agencies,
GBIF, JRS Biodiversity Foundation) but nothing specific for the
network's core maintenance or for its overall development or a national
program to support the participation of biological collections. In spite
of this, we ended 2008 with 158 participating collections and
subcollections that are sharing 2.9 million records. This, in my point
of view shows that there is a cultural change towards open and free data
sharing through the Internet to any or all interested. This also seems
to express that data providers are seeing benefits in data sharing, with
the concrete possibility of acknowledgment and feed back from users.

The second issue concerns recent IT developments that allow truly
distributed systems where data providers have full acknowledgment and,
what I believe to be most important, full control over their data.
Determining what data is sensitive and what can be openly shared, at
least within the speciesLink network, is a role of each data provider.
This control, in my opinion, greatly helps promote data sharing. Also by
using tools and applications it is possible to develop data cleaning
reports that help providers in identifying possible errors and users to
assert data quality. You can find such reports at
http://splink.cria.org.br/dc by selecting the acronym wished.

Georeferencing is an enormous job concerning legacy data and is
fundamental for data usage. It is a process to be achieved with sound
and long term support and with the help of IT developments. Here we have
the example of the biogeomancer project (http://www.biogeomancer.org/)
whose goal was to maximize the quality and quantity of biodiversity data
that can be mapped in support of scientific research, planning,
conservation, and management. We also did something here at CRIA. We
didn't alter original data, but we added new fields to the database to
include automatic georeferencing at the municipality level. If this
satisfies the users need, this becomes good quality data. This option is
available in our search page
(http://splink.cria.org.br/centralized_search). Our system also flags
suspect records to users when downloading data.

The third aspect is data usage. I don't know what GBIF's usage
statistics are, but at least our experience is that usage is ever
increasing, even though we are dealing with data that does have problems
with quality but, which is most important, data that IS AVAILABLE in a
free and usable way.

All this to say that I think that GBIF's role to continuously increase
data availability is fundamental and shouldn't stop or decrease to first
consider data quality. Both are processes that have to be stimulated and
must grow simultaneously. It is important to note that when considering
GBIF one must consider the role of the Secretariat, of each country node
and of each data provider. Each one is important and has a role to play.

All the best,
Dora

--
Dora Ann Lange Canhos