[Taxacom] Type localities, Geo-coding, etc.

Thompson, Chris Chris.Thompson at ARS.USDA.GOV
Fri Jan 9 06:43:26 CST 2009

Yes, Geoff,

One should ALWAYS properly document the basis of one's geo-coding of any
specimen record and provide an indication of the precision of the datum.
AND this especially critical for old type-locality.

But it is not only Linnaeus' wine cellar. When one digs into the history
of a name and the type it is based on, one frequently finds rather
precise information.

Another favorit example. The student of Linnaeus, who took over
Entomology after him, was Fabricius. In his first work, Systema
Entomologiae (1775) he described many new species as simply being from
"America. V. Rohr" Obviously he then thought that was good enough for
his purposes. But today if we check the history of "v. Rohr" we discover
that he was the Royal Architect stationed at St. Croix in the then
DANISH Virgin Island. Which is a much more precise definition for
"America v. Rohr."

The basic problem I find today is the younger workers usually do not
even bother the examine the original description, but if they do, they
simply stop and declare them useless as they have vague incomplete
information. And there are no IMPACT factors for digging into Ancient
history about earlier collectors and voyages of discovery, etc.

AND YES, most users never read nor understand the caveats provided with
scientific data. Again from our experience with the BDWD where we
provide an quality assurance measure with every record, we note that
virtually all users accept our information as the gospel truth! And
unfortunately experts never use our information as they already know the
truth! But gradually we are cleaning the data up.

Oh, well ... it is again Friday ...

F. Christian Thompson
Systematic Entomology Lab., ARS, USDA
c/o Smithsonian Institution MRC-0169