[Taxacom] Total number of name-bearing types

Bob Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Fri Jan 9 17:24:07 CST 2009

Here are three workarounds:

(1) For seriously vague localities, throw up an error message. This is
what I did with my WorldKit species mappers at

http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au/zoology/multipedes/mulplot.html (UTM)
http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au/zoology/millipedes/mapper.html (lat/long)

If you try to plot e.g., Amastigogonus hardyi with either mapper, you
get a pop-up saying:

"Sorry, this species will not be mapped because the only known locality
is 'Tasmania'"

(2) Force a small-scale map. With either of my mappers, you can't zoom
in more than 4X.

(3) If your plotting application allows it, tie the size of the locality
marker to a database field with an accuracy estimate, e.g. +/- 1km, 5km,
10km, etc. This is easy to do in most GIS programs, so a Web plotter
that calls on a GIS program to deliver an image should be able to do
this.

Whatever you do, do *not* use something highly zoomable like Google Maps
or Google Earth as your locality plotter. That guarantees the user will
expect super-high accuracy for every record.
--
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate