[Taxacom] GBIF progress

Dr. David Campbell amblema at bama.ua.edu
Sat Jan 10 17:08:42 CST 2009

Quoting John Irish <jirish at mweb.com.na>:

> I think GBIF is great, but it is suffering from a bad case of GIGO.

There seems to be a common pattern in large online systematics
initiatives for funding to be dedicated to electronic infrastructure
but not to systematics or systematists.  How can we better market the
fact that we need salaries for people who know about the organisms,
rather than expecting all the data to be supplied on a volunteer
basis?  Much data entry is done by people who obviously don't know
about the organisms (this is not a new problem; I recall reading a
complaint regarding the students assigned to compile specimen
catalogues decades ago).

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections Building