[Taxacom] Total number of name-bearing types

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Wed Jan 14 21:55:06 CST 2009

Dear all,

Actually I would appreciate some more background from David Remsen regarding the motivation for his original question - my feeling (which may be quite unwarranted of course) was that he was seeking an independent way to calculate known biodiversity to see if the often-quoted figure of 1.7-1.8 million described species stacks up - i.e., if the numbers of type specimens could be established from museum records or literature, then some reduction factor employed to account for multiple types and synonymized taxa, then you could see how close to the 1.7-1.8 million figure was the answer. What appears to be happening may not be contributing to this, as it is extrapolating the number of types from the estimated number of described taxa, therefore circular reasoning if my original assumption is correct - David, would you care to comment here?

Regards - Tony